Q. I’m under the impression that our company is obligated to give employees all vacation accrued up to the time of their, but we’re not obligated to let employees accrue vacation leave during their leave. Am I right?
A. You are not obligated to allow employees on FMLA leave to continue accruing vacation leave, as long as you don’t allow employees out on other types of absences or leaves to accrue vacation leave.
If employees can accrue vacation time while on other types of leaves, then employees on FMLA leave must be treated the same.
- When disaster strikes, are employees eligible for FMLA?
- Train supervisors on proper handling of FMLA return-to-work certifications
- Wasted at work? You don't have to tolerate it!
- Tell supervisors: Enforce attendance rules equally—or prepare for court
- How much advance notice can we demand when an employee wants to take FMLA leave?