Q. I’m under the impression that our company is obligated to give employees all vacation accrued up to the time of their, but we’re not obligated to let employees accrue vacation leave during their leave. Am I right?
A. You are not obligated to allow employees on FMLA leave to continue accruing vacation leave, as long as you don’t allow employees out on other types of absences or leaves to accrue vacation leave.
If employees can accrue vacation time while on other types of leaves, then employees on FMLA leave must be treated the same.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Must we grant time off for rehab?
- Call lawyer before considering anything like a noncompete--even a gentlemen's agreement
- Be prepared to prove you had reasonable cause to deny reinstatement after FMLA leave
- Train supervisors on proper handling of FMLA return-to-work certifications