Q. An employee who is unable to work has been out onfor the past few weeks. Our holiday party is coming up next week. Should I allow her to attend if she wants to?
A. Make decisions such as this one on a case-by-case basis. It may very well depend upon the reasons for which the employee is out on FMLA. While out on leave, the employee still is entitled to enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment. Therefore, if she is physically able to do so, the employee should be permitted to attend the holiday party.
- Make sure employee is clear about your system for running and counting FMLA leave
- HIPAA Rules Aren't Just For Doctors and Hospitals
- U.S. Labor Dept. draws battle lines in the great FMLA fight
- Employee acting out of character? Balance safety, liability
- Have solid reason before firing employee on FMLA leave