Q. An employee who is unable to work has been out onfor the past few weeks. Our holiday party is coming up next week. Should I allow her to attend if she wants to?
A. Make decisions such as this one on a case-by-case basis. It may very well depend upon the reasons for which the employee is out on FMLA. While out on leave, the employee still is entitled to enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment. Therefore, if she is physically able to do so, the employee should be permitted to attend the holiday party.
- FMLA leave-Takers aren't untouchable, but courts will look closely at timing
- Does your FMLA policy comply with the new leave expansions? Keep these 2 on your radar
- Clarify internal rules for handling FMLA requests
- Discharging employee after FMLA leave expires may be retaliation
- FMLA: What if worker won't return to old job?