Q. An employee who is unable to work has been out onfor the past few weeks. Our holiday party is coming up next week. Should I allow her to attend if she wants to?
A. Make decisions such as this one on a case-by-case basis. It may very well depend upon the reasons for which the employee is out on FMLA. While out on leave, the employee still is entitled to enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment. Therefore, if she is physically able to do so, the employee should be permitted to attend the holiday party.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 minutes well-spent: Audit your employee bulletin board
- Employee returning from FMLA leave? It's OK to ask about his ability to do the job
- Even if you're wrong, you can fire employee who's on FMLA
- Head off problem employees' retaliation suits: Document all decision-making as it happens