Q. An employee who is unable to work has been out onfor the past few weeks. Our holiday party is coming up next week. Should I allow her to attend if she wants to?
A. Make decisions such as this one on a case-by-case basis. It may very well depend upon the reasons for which the employee is out on FMLA. While out on leave, the employee still is entitled to enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment. Therefore, if she is physically able to do so, the employee should be permitted to attend the holiday party.
- New president, new Congress: 5 new employment laws could reshape HR
- Supreme Court outlook: Key employment issues at stake
- Employee is wasted at work? You don't have to tolerate it!
- Simple pain complaint doesn't count as FMLA notice.
- Warn bosses: Do nothing that discourages FMLA leave or punishes those who take it