The Mashup … with Michelle Peña

Finding strength in tough times

Michelle Pena

in The Mashup … with Michelle Peña

Picture a young couple about to board the only ship that can take them and their newborn son to a life of freedom. Not knowing what else would be waiting for them on the other side, it was a journey that required a great deal of faith and courage.

They have just said goodbye to everything they loved and the only home they’d ever known. But as painful as that was, they knew it was necessary.

Their wedding rings would soon become a tangible reminder of that pivotal moment, as they were stripped of everything else they tried to carry on board. The idea to sow those wedding rings into the lining of her bra the night before was both clever and risky, and it worked.

More than 50 years later, I proudly share this inspiring story. Those people are my parents, who immigrated to the United States from Cuba in 1963. This move was made possible as part of a trade deal due to my uncle, who was a freedom fighter in the Bay of Pigs in...(register to read more)

To read the rest of this article you must first register with your email address.

Email Address:

Nick October 2, 2018 at 4:54 am

Great stuff, Michelle! Thanks and God bless.

Michelle Pena October 2, 2018 at 12:09 pm

Nick, thanks so much! I sincerely appreciate the positive feedback. -Blessings, Michelle

Ricardo J Flores September 17, 2018 at 10:07 am

Great inspiring story Michelle. As a Venezuelan citizen myself living in exile I know first hand what you talked about. Thank you so much for sharing and God bless you.

Ricardo October 2, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Ricardo, the story of immigration is a deeply personal one and always captures my heart. Thank you for sharing that with me. I have relatives in Venezuela as well. I spent the summer of ’88 there with family in Maracaibo and attended school with my cousin. -God bless you, Michelle

Lori A Raymond September 17, 2018 at 9:28 am

This story of inspiration and perseverance came exactly on time. Thank you for sharing your story, Michelle Peña. You made a difference in my day and hopefully my life.

Michelle Pena October 2, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Lori, it’s truly a privilege for me to share this and other articles with you all here. This was a special one that I hoped would generate not only interest but also inspiration. Thank you for reaching out to let me know how much it resonated with you. Take care. -All the best, Michelle