Quiz: How well do you handle pressure?
Try this quiz to gauge your ability to handle pressure. Mark each answer true or false and read the scoring instructions at the end.
1. I enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where I never know what might happen next.
2. A day where nothing goes as expected leaves me feeling drained.
3. I often have trouble sleeping because I lie awake worried about problems at work.
4. I am usually able to maintain my composure in tense or stressful situations.
5. I enjoy the challenge of working hard to meet a tight deadline.
6. I try to plan my workdays carefully and feel annoyed when something interferes.
7. I have volunteered to take on challenging assignments, knowing they would come with a fair amount of responsibility.
8. If I could, I would trade my job for one with fewer problems to handle.
9. I like being in the spotlight and don’t mind if others look to me for leadership.
10. I get bored easily with most jobs and am always looking for ways to make my work more interesting.
11. I would prefer a job that is steady and predictable to one where things are constantly changing.
12. I enjoy a spirited debate, whether I am a participant or not.
Give yourself five points for each true on 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12; and five points for each false on 2, 3, 6, 8 and 11.
Between 45-60: It is likely that you thrive on pressure and you may even need a certain amount to be at your best. You likely handle tense and stressful situations in a calm manner.
Between 25-44: You likely handle pressure as well as most people. However, when things become more stressful than normal, you may feel it in your health and your ability to function productively.
Between 0-24: You like predictability and stability. You can take steps to handle stress better with classes in stress management. You can also begin putting yourself in situations that gradually move you outside of your comfort zone.