Q. Does all prenatal care qualify for, or does the female employee need to have complications to qualify? Also, can a husband take leave for his wife’s prenatal care, such as accompanying her to an ultrasound?
A. Theare clear that a female employee is entitled to leave to attend routine prenatal care appointments. The regulations are less than clear concerning whether a male employee is entitled to accompany his spouse to such appointments.
However, in light of recent case law—which very broadly defines an employee’s right to leave to provide comfort to a spouse or immediate family member with a serious health condition—employers run a significant risk when denying a male employee’s request to attend a routine prenatal examination.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Track intermittent leave meticulously when you offset FMLA time with paid leave
- FMLA and late certification: Can we fire for missed deadline?
- Intermittent leave no excuse for shoddy work
- Give staff at least 15 days to obtain FMLA certification