Next time you find yourself in a standoff, exert influence and come to an amicable solution with these five tips from Bob Burg, author of Adversaries Into Allies.
- Keep your cool. Instead of giving knee-jerk reactions, assess the situation and respond rationally.
- Be aware of others’ beliefs. Influence comes when you accept these differences.
- Understand ego. There’s a me-first mentality inside of everyone.
- Create an influential space. Creating space for communication and cooperation enables you to sidestep adversarial encounters. Smile, apologize or focus on solutions.
- Communicate carefully. Use tact and empathy and show them you understood their needs.
— Adapted from “Five Ways to Turn Adversaries into Allies,” Dan Rockwell, Freak.