A Florida employee who was fired for saying “Merry Christmas” when answering the phone instead of the approved “Happy holidays” has filed a religious discrimination lawsuit against her former employer.
Tonia Thomas claims her boss at Counts Oaks Resort Properties in Lynn Haven fired her for not reciting the approved phone script. She said her religion didn’t allow her to recognize other religions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Warn managers: Don't make assumptions about pregnant employee's capabilities
- Know the limits of employee free speech—no need to tolerate out-of-line protests
- Returning soldiers must follow your policies
- Shared password rouses firing, lawsuit against TIAA-CREF