A Florida employee who was fired for saying “Merry Christmas” when answering the phone instead of the approved “Happy holidays” has filed a religious discrimination lawsuit against her former employer.
Tonia Thomas claims her boss at Counts Oaks Resort Properties in Lynn Haven fired her for not reciting the approved phone script. She said her religion didn’t allow her to recognize other religions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Training and development spending ticks up 1%
- Make it one of HR's goals: Ensure everyone gets training on harassment
- Remind supervisors: You don't tolerate name-calling, especially when it's race-based
- The Star Profile: 13 steps to becoming a better boss