7 steps to conflict resolution
When interpersonal conflicts arise, apply this seven-step process to resolve them:
—Adapted from The Common Sense Guy blog, by Bud Bilanich, www.commonsenseguy.com.
- Talk about the disagreement and agree on the real issue.
- Ask why the issue is a problem, and why you need to resolve it.
- Devise several solutions that could resolve the issue.
- Choose the best solution to the problem, but be willing to compromise.
- Agree what you each need to do to solve the conflict.
- Bring closure by shaking hands, repeating your individual commitments and saying “thanks.”
- Follow through on your commitments.