Q. Does all prenatal care qualify for, or does the female employee need to have complications to qualify? Also, can a husband take leave for his wife’s prenatal care, such as accompanying her to an ultrasound?
A. Theare clear that a female employee is entitled to leave to attend routine prenatal care appointments. The regulations are less than clear concerning whether a male employee is entitled to accompany his spouse to such appointments.
However, in light of recent case law—which very broadly defines an employee’s right to leave to provide comfort to a spouse or immediate family member with a serious health condition—employers run a significant risk when denying a male employee’s request to attend a routine prenatal examination.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Harassment: Your response makes all the difference
- Must we reinstate health insurance that lapsed while employee was on FMLA leave?
- Accruing sick leave while on FMLA
- When employee returns from FMLA leave, ensure position is truly equivalent to former job