The year-end holiday bonus is alive and well, with 72% of employers issuing them last winter and dollar amounts inching upward as the economy continues its recovery.
But padding December paychecks isn’t the only way an organization can say “Happy Holidays!” to hard-working employees.
Even though most employees who responded to year-end surveys last year said they hoped their employers would stuff their holiday stockings with cash bonuses, they also said they valued extra time off and modest-but-useful gifts.
If your business won’t issue holiday bonuses this year, consider giving another gift that employees will appreciate nearly as much.
Here are 10 alternatives to Christmas cash:
1. Offer extra paid time off. Free up a half day for each employee to spend shopping and running holiday errands. Close up early on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Or surprise everyone with an extra day or two off before Christmas or betwee...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Keeping too much email? You're part of the problem
- Control employee cellphone use--an accident waiting to happen
- Solidify an independent contractor's status by proving he turned down employee job offer
- Street Smarts: Your peers weigh in with 5 real-world comp & benefits solutions