Where do you stand in the office temperature wars?

Question: "This is more a vent than a question, but why is it that everywhere I work, people are always complaining about their part of the office being too warm or too cold? Our poor manager spends more time responding to every little complaint about the AC than he does running the business. Doesn’t anyone feel the responsibility to dress appropriately for how it might feel that day, and maybe bring a sweater, or do they expect the place to feel perfect no matter where they sit or what the weather’s like outside?” – L.C., Regional Sales Support

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Karen October 11, 2013 at 10:09 am

This might be too simple an answer: Can you create a separate spreadsheet (new tab) in the larger spreadsheet, link to column or cells for your department data? I don’t know if you can password protect one tab if needed or just the entire sheet. Also something to keep in mind if you create a new sheet that links to the old they need to be saved in the same place or the links will not work. Also if any of the tabs get renamed the links will not work.
I created a 37 tab spreadsheet to decommission/commission sites for Bank of America, each tab linked to a basic information sheet and each page could be sent to a particular vendor to discontinue services. It was a bear to create but once I had it up and running saved quite a bit of time. I aslo had a spreadsheet of all BOA locations for our regions with all pertinent info including utility account numbers, this was sliced and diced, pivot in all manners as regions were realigned. That was over 500 lines and over a 100 columns.

Lisa October 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

It becomes an issue if it effects our patients; otherwise, we are being paid to work here much like the road crew on extremely hot or freezing day outside.

Debbie October 4, 2013 at 7:16 am

Debbie: LOL agree with your comment. You forgot to add the sandles with no stockings!! Really? Makes me crazy!!

Teresa October 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I have a fan and a sweater at my desk. Therefore, which ever I need, I have and no one complains about my area only their own. I have offered my sweater to those who are cold. They are usually younger than I am so they look at my sweater and politely decline, but don’t complain to me anymore. :)

Theresa Kasel October 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I worked at a Fortune 500 company that had a standing policy that if the temperature in your area was 73 (that or 76), there was not a temperature issue. That was the temperature the system was designed to maintain. (Granted, this was a new building — late 1900s construction.) Everyone knew that if the thermostats in the area said it was 73, maintenance would do nothing about the temperature.

I think the solution is for management to state that the building temperature is maintained at X (feel free to change it for seasons — my company didn’t — and it was in Minnesota.) As long as the temperature is at X, there is not a problem with the HVAC and the person needs to put on a sweater, take off a sweater or run a fan.

(I’m not fond of running space heaters — they seem to be too much of a fire hazard.)

Mary Moorehead October 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

In our office, they’ve taken our heaters in an effort to “Go Green”. They said they would save, because it is much more expensive to run electric heaters. Sometimes even wearing sweaters is like trying to thaw out without the heat, because the chill is in the entire floor. We’ve all increased the amount of hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate that we consume within a day. It’s mainly the women, not the men who are cold most of the time. They feel that the thermostat is at a comfortable setting.

Robyn October 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I’ve got 2 separate parts of the building…for the office suite area the temp is set at 75 during A/C season and 68 during Heating season. Period. Everyone knows to (and for the most part does) dress appropriately for them knowing that the temps are not gonna be changed.
In the residence part of the building it is set at 72 year round. And we encourage the residents to dress appropriately-again for them. My standard response when I get a complaint is “shut the window, open the vent, don’t block the vent and dress appropriately for the temp in the building-not outside.”

Joyce October 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm

We’ve had more than our share of complaints. There are definite cold spots that are like freezers, and hotspots (mostly by windows) on the same side of the floor on any given day–we’ve tried everything–and have learned to work around it. We want people to dress appropriately to dress code so attempt to maintain temperatures at that level overall to suit the majority, and then the “hotties” whatever their reason, have small personal fans; and the ones that always seem to be cold, have jackets and/or blankets hanging on the back of their chairs. Both of which were company logo Christmas gifts at one year or another. Temperatures inside also seem to fluctuate with outside temperature and weather if there is a sudden change, so unless the system is just completely broken down, we work with what we have. We’ve even had people volunteer to exchange spaces where it was feasible. But basically when comments/complaints are made we make a joke that we can all laugh at, and then move on back to business, ’cause we have other bigger issues ….

Rita October 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Without even touching the menopausal versus pre-teen physiologies in our office, we get bombarded on a daily basis by requests for more heat or more cool air. Our building is old, and the building owner refuses to update the HVAC system. There are some days when people are actually wearing gloves and coats at their desks! But, I have to agree that if you’ve worked here longer than 5 minutes, you should be aware of the problem and DRESS APPROPRIATELY. Wear layers, bring sweaters, use a small portable fan and/or space heater, whatever it takes to do your work. If management doesn’t like the “look” of staff huddled in their cubicles in coats and scarves (not professional), they can take it up with the building owner to force some upgrades. Until then, I’m responsible for my own ability to complete my work, whether that means buying new glasses because I just can’t read the small print any more, or changing my style of dress.

Diane October 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm

There’s only so much our company’s ventilation system can do. Our office, the way it’s built, can be a sauna when the afternoon sun hits the side of our building. I’ve learned to dress in layers and peel them off as needed throughout the day. I also keep a sweater at my cubicle for those overcast days. I lost a LOT of weight in the past year, and I’ve noticed that I’m colder than I used to be; however, I know my comfort is my responsibility. It’s not unusual to see me wearing a sweater when people are standing around fanning themselves with file folders and paper. What gets old is hearing, “how can you be wearing a sweater?” I’ve perfected a response that’s both humorous and leaves them agreeing with me that the sweater is the way to go. :)

Suzanne Martin October 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm

They do dress appropriate and those of who need have fans that sometimes run year round. The complainers come to me, then I have to go to head of maintenance to find out the temperature and it has become so old hat that he had begun to inform me of maintenance and any changes it may cuz so I can tell the folks, don’t come complaining to me. A large building is hard to regulate.

Kristin October 3, 2013 at 4:10 pm

This is a constant problem in our office. I’ve learned to keep a sweater in the office and have a portable heater and suggest the same to the other employees who complain.

DB October 17, 2013 at 10:27 am

Some places don’t allow personal heaters.

Debbie October 3, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Don’t know about the rest of you but the complainers of it being too cold in my office are the ones coming in in sleeveless tank shirts and short skirts. Put some clothes on and let us middle age menopausal women have our a/c!