Networking comes naturally for some, but not so much for others, writes Equitable Payments co-founder Darrah Brustein. Her tips:
- Start with the people you already know. Networking isn’t only about meeting new people. It’s also about strengthening relationships with people you already know.
- Don’t fool yourself into thinking you don’t need to network. You will need it at some point.
- Don’t force your business cards on people. Offer your card only after you’ve had a conversation and asked for the other person’s card.
- Establish expectations. Tell people when and how you’ll contact them, and follow through.
- Pose good questions. Questions that don’t go straight to a person’s profession can make for deeper, more memorable connections.
- Create a connections calendar. This helps you remember to keep in touch with people every month or so.
- Find out what others need. Then try to help them get it by connecting them to people you know.
- Give before you receive. Networking is a two-way street. Don’t expect something in return immediately.
- Ask yourself “Why should they care?” This will help you come up with a way to describe yourself and what you do that will be interesting to others.
- Talk less than you listen. You can’t learn about other people if you’re doing all of the talking.
— Adapted from “16 Simple Tips for Networking Smarter,” Darrah Brustein, Business2Community and the Young Entrepreneur Council.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/35990/10-tips-to-improve-networking-skills "