Strategist and coach Zoë B offers five ways to boost your.
- Wait your turn to talk. Talking over people sends the message you don’t care about what they’re saying.
- Let others finish their own sentences. Research shows it makes people feel powerless because you’ve taken control of the conversation.
- Paraphrase what you’ve heard before you give your two cents. This shows the other person you’ve heard her and understand. Also, if you’ve misunderstood, it gives her a chance to clarify before the misunderstanding leads to bigger problems.
- Be an active listener. Engage and respond throughout the conversation.
- Keep good eye contact. It shows the other person you’re interested in what he’s saying.
— Adapted from “5 Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills,” Zoë B, Lifehack.com.