Every office has a go-to guy or gal who people count on to deliver in any situation. While that person may appear to work more, she also gains considerable advantages, including respect, a broad network, great recommendations and plenty of leverage. It’s possible to become the go-to if you try, says Kelly Gurnett, assistant editor of Brazen Life.
- Be adaptable and agreeable. Take problems in stride and do what’s asked with a smile.
- Keep calm and carry on. Don’t lose your cool when things go wrong, just keep working to accomplish the task at hand.
- Remain consistent. Strive to be the rock everyone can count on in any circumstance.
- Do more than what’s expected. Turn in your work early, come up with a better way to do things, make the coffee—anything to show you’re a strong member of the team.
- Stay in learning mode. Don’t stop learning and soak up information outside of your purview. Also keep bringing new people and their ideas into your network.
— Adapted from “How to Become the Go-To Guy (or Gal) in Your Office,” Kelly Gurnett, Brazen Careerist.