Few men in politics have been admired by both sides of the aisle. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell is one such man. In his memoir, he offers up rules to live by. A few of them:
1. It ain’t as bad as you think. Try to keep your optimism, no matter how difficult things get. “Things will get better,” he writes. “You will make them better.”
2. Get mad, then get over it.
3. Try not to let your ego become too entangled with your position. Also, loyalty means disagreeing strongly, but executing faithfully.
4. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.often requires leaning on superb instinct.
5. You can’t make someone else’s choices, and you shouldn’t let someone else make yours. “Since ultimate responsibility is yours, make sure the choice is yours and you are not responding to the pressure and desire of others,” he writes.
6. Success ultimately rests on small things. “Leaders have to have a feel for small things—a feel for what is going on in the depths of an organization where small things reside.”
7. Share credit, because people need recognition just as they need food and water. “Share the credit, take the blame, and quietly find out and fix things that went wrong,” Powell writes. “Whenever you place the cause of one of your actions outside yourself, it’s an excuse and not a reason.”
8. Remain calm. In the heat of the battle—whether military or corporate—kindness and calmness will reassure followers.
9. Have vision.
10. Learn to be aware when fear grips you. If we don’t understand that “fear is normal and has to be controlled and overcome, it will paralyze us and stop us in our tracks,” Powell writes. “We will no longer think clearly or analyze rationally. We prepare for it and control it; we never let it control us. If it does, we cannot lead.”
11. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
— Adapted from It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership, Colin Powell.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/32161/colin-powells-rules-to-live-by "