Overtime pay. Discrimination.. Harassment ...
Federal employment laws govern all of these issues – and many more – that you deal with at some point in your career. It's important for supervisors and managers to know the basics of how to comply with those laws.
[Editor's note: When it comes to the Overtime ] : 6 compliance tips to avoid , wage-and-hour Labor audits and mistakes!, start here:
Here's a list of the top 10 most important federal employment laws:
1. Job discrimination. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits you from discriminating in hiring, firing or pay based on a person's race, religion, sex or national origin. It also prohibits sexual harassment.
Action: Treat all employees and applicants equally, without regard to their race, religion, gender or any other characteristics not related to job performance. Demand the same fr...(register to read more)
- Interviewing: Ask this first
- $46.7 million for manager who blew whistle on age discrimination
- Fiscal cliff averted: New law sets 2013 withholding rates; 'payroll tax holiday' expires
- Justice Department sues judge, courts for USERRA violations
- Holidays on a shoestring: Real-life tips on celebrating in style without breaking the bank