1. Employees are unpleasantly surprised by the ratings.shouldn't contain surprises. They should be a summary of comments employees have already heard throughout the evaluation period. Unpleasant surprises indicate that supervisors are not being candid or communicative with employees.
2. Ratings by one supervisor or department are uniformly excellent. Although it's inappropriate to apply a "bell curve" to employees' performance, it is also inappropriate to rate everyone at the same level.
3. Great employees don't receive great ratings. Look around at the employees who are the strongest. They should be receiving the best ratings. If not, your appraisals aren't rewarding those they should.
4. Employees who are dismissed have received recent excellent appraisals. One purpose ofis to provide documentation for the organization in case a dismissal is necessary. When the doesn't support a later decision, it can make it more difficult for the employer to defend its actions.
5. Productivity generally goes down during appraisal time. The purpose of performance reviews is to increase productivity. Any process that is not contributing to that goal should not be continued. If your system is not doing so, don't hesitate to rate it as "unsatisfactory" and design a new one.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/1142/5-warning-signs-of-performance-review-problems "
- Tell well-intentioned managers: You must route all ADA accommodation requests through HR
- Deloitte staff recruits grads through volunteer work
- Employing agency determines where public employees' whistle-blower suits will be heard
- Sample Policy: Overtime
- Loss of supporting documents needn't sink your defense