Weight Discrimination In The Workplace: Realities And Legalities

in Human Resources

There's no denying that Americans are getting heavier and heavier. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control show that, in 1996, no state had a prevalence of obesity equal to or great than 20%.  Just 10 years later, only four states had a prevalence of obesity under 20%, while two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 30%.  Today, 34% of adults in the U.S. are considered obese, defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher.

Also on the rise: weight discrimination.  A recent study from Yale University found that weight discrimination occurs in employment settings and daily interpersonal relationships as often as race discrimination — the top charge filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) annually — and, in some cases, even more frequently than age or gender discrimination.

While no federal employment laws and only one state law (Michigan) specifically prohibit ...(register to read more)

To read the rest of this article you must first register with your email address.

Email Address:

situs domino online August 30, 2017 at 8:17 pm

With the right group the fun will likely be brought back to the game as well.
I hope this helps with your look for a folding poker table that meets your financial budget, space, and needs.
Thus, it’ll greatly behoove you to heed intensely they your opponents are holding as well as set your sights about the pot only if you don’t draw an ace or better
your first three draws.

Karen Parker December 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm

size does not determine anyone’s worth, so why these people would stoop so low is beyond me, I saw so much of this at my old health club and when I reacted to it very verbally, who gets penalized for it??? ME… Just as well, I don’t want to go to any health club that allows this type of behavior, its extremely rude,
don’t those people at your work know any better than to make rude comments??? I said that to someone today at the corporate office of the health club I went to. Discrimination is discrimination, whether it racial , size based, religion etc. People need to live and let live

Jay October 24, 2012 at 1:11 am

I’ve frequently been the victim of weight-based discrimination at work. Whenever there’s an awful smell, people assume it’s my body odor. I’ve received calls and comments from *three different employers* in the past half a decade, and have twice felt so uncomfortable that I had to quit my job.

No, REALLY??? July 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I’ve had three people comment on my weight at work. What I DON’T get is that I’m NOT the fattest person at work. Obesity is the final accepted prejudice. People don’t tsk-tsk when someone makes an inappropriate comment about someone’s weight. I can guarantee you that fit would hit the shan if someone made a comment about someone’s race! MY OPINION: UNTIL EVERYONE AT MY OFFICE LOOKS HOTTER AND MORE BUFF THAN CHRIS HEMSWORTH AS THOR, I DON’T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE HALLE BERRY!

Jeremy August 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm

That’s truly awful. I know that several companies do not hire people because they believe that since they are over weight they will not be as productive. On the contrary, I have seen more hard working people that are over weight than their skinny counterparts! (I also like what you said about Chris Hemsworth; I am actually trying to loose weight and gain muscle from the workout routine he did, and believe me that workout is tough!).

Carol December 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Drink Coffee, Burn Fat. Yes, it’s true. The world’s only thermogenic coffee and teas. http://www.CarolRiddick.com It works!