Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Walt Disney World dilemma spotlights religious discrimination issues
- Albertsons settles final-Paycheck lawsuit, will pay $15 million
- No unemployment for those fired for late time sheets
- Use progressive discipline—or prepare to pay unemployment even if conduct was outrageous