Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What can we do to protect ourselves? A worker leveled threats after we fired him
- Keep age out of mix when deciding who gets education benefits
- Reorganizing? Make sure open positions are available to all
- Be prepared to defend retaliation lawsuit if fired worker had ever complained to HR