Change. America voted for it, and small businesses will certainly receive their fair share in 2009.
Much has been made about the proposed changes to the tax code that could affect small businesses. But the arrival in Washington of President Barack Obama and a firmly Democratic-controlled Congress could carry “the most sweeping HR-related changes in 30 years,” according to the Society for Human Resource .
What will that mean for small firms? Here are the five most important workplace issues on Obama’s agenda:
1. Create a new “play or pay” health care mandate. The plan would require employers to either offer health insurance to their employees or to pay an unspecified percentage of their toward the cost of a national plan. Some of the smallest businesses would be exempted from the plan and would get tax subsidies to offer health insurance.
2. Mandate paid leave and expand . Obama favors follo...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Lure 'passive' job candidates with the right first impression
- How far do we have to go to accommodate employee's migraine headaches?
- Cincinnati's Kroger chain to pay $485,000 for sexual harassment
- OSHA fines Western Pa. roofer following 2009 fatal fall