Before launching Seagate, Shugart climbed the corporate ladder for 18 years at IBM and four years at Memorex.
WS: How did you exert over 110,000 employees?
Shugart: Part of being a leader is making sure everyone knows you’re a leader. Some managers forget that. They just hide in their offices and don’t get out in front of their employees. You have to take charge and set an example of what you want done and how you want people to act.
WS: Is it hard not to let all that power go to your head?
Shugart: The best leaders are proud but humble. I learned that lesson when I was 12 years old. I came home from a softball game and told my mother all the great things I did for...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Does your organization need insurance against employee lawsuits?
- Remember this when panic strikes
- How to regain wages paid after worker falsified timecards
- 3 online tools for grabbing instant feedback