It’s always best to plan ahead. Here’s a list of useful Web sites in the event of a flu pandemic, which could knock out as much as 40 percent of the work force:
www.pandemicflu.gov. This is the federal government’s central Web site for information about a flu pandemic. The site includes a checklist for business preparations at www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/pdf/businesschecklist.pdf.
www.osha.gov/Publications/influenzapandemic.html. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration provides detailed guidance for employers, including ways to reduce employee exposure to a flu pandemic.
www.ready.gov/business/index.html. This Department of Homeland Security site offers more general advice on planning for emergencies, along with a sample emergency plan and checklists.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Dive into 2012: Get your policies in shape for the new year
- Warn bosses: 'Getting even' can be retaliation
- Don't feel compelled to permanently reassign essential job functions to satisfy FEHA
- Batali's employees rake in millions in belated tip income