Three ways to gain a faster corporate refund — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Three ways to gain a faster corporate refund

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Paying estimated tax in regular installments can be a tricky proposition, especially for corporations. But now that the dust has settled for the 2005 tax year, you may have run the numbers and found that your company overpaid its estimated taxes.

If that’s the case, here are three ways to effectively speed up your tax refund:

1. Ask the IRS to use the excess to cover payroll taxes. That way, you don’t have to wait to receive a refund from your tax filing. Caution: If you redesignate income tax payments, you could be liable for penalties if you subsequently end up owing income tax.

2. File for a refund before you file your return. This special option is available only to corporations that overpaid their income tax by at least $500.

3. Carry back a net operating loss (NOL). The loss can offset tax liability in the two previous years and provide an immediate refund. Alternatively, you can use the NOL in a future year if you expect profits to soar. Downside: If you take this approach, you must wait until you file your return for the profitable year to collect the tax benefit.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: