Q. How far can we go to make sure employees aren’t taking advantage of our company while they’re out on workers’ comp leave? Can we, for example, call them at home to make sure they are resting and not out working another job or otherwise abusing the system?
A. While legitimate work-related calls to the employee may be reasonable, regular calls to “check up” on the employee are not recommended. They could lead to a workers’ comp retaliation claim.
If you have concerns regarding the legitimacy of an employee’s workers’ compensation leave, you should notify your insurance carrier of your concern and let it investigate accordingly.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- New tool when employees defect to competition: bonus forfeiture
- Hours equity: The next frontier of wage and hour lawsuits?
- ADA accommodation can't be based on disabled employee's promise not to sue
- Action on employment law shifting to states