Save tax dollars by putting your ‘trust’ in a college savings device — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Save tax dollars by putting your ‘trust’ in a college savings device

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

U.S. tax laws provide a variety of tax breaks for higher education expenses, but high-income people are usually shut out of these goodies. Example: Joint filers can't claim the above-the-line deduction for tuition expenses if their adjusted gross income exceeds $160,000 ($80,000 if you are unmarried).

In a pinch, you can set aside money in custodial accounts for your kids, but then you must contend with the "kiddie tax" on investment earnings.

Strategy: Set up a Section 2503(c) trust (sometimes called a "minor's trust") for your children or grandchildren. The income is taxed directly to the trust. The kiddie tax never comes into play.

A Section 2503(c) trust has another distinct advantage over the better-known custodial ac-count: The trust can continue past the age of majority in the state where you live. That means you don't need to worry about a child squandering the dollars set aside for college. If you're ...(register to read more)

To read the rest of this article you must first register with your email address.

Email Address:

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: