The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has filed suit against Catherine Ellingen, owner and president of Plywood Industries in Roseville, over violations of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
The lawsuit claims Ellingen kept employees’ health insurance contributions and used the money to finance ongoing company operations from January 2006 through July 2007. The DOL seeks to permanently bar Ellingen from serving as a fiduciary to any ERISA-governed plans. It also wants her to repay the contributions, plus interest.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Minnesota's 8.8% unemployment rate outpaces national average
- How can we find out whether employees are poaching health coverage for partners?
- Watch those pension funds--or watch the feds swoop in
- What kind of information are we required to give participants in our health insurance plan?