Admin Pro Forum

How much dishonesty is worth going to a supervisor about?

Question: "I had vaguely known a particular person who applied for an admin position here recently, and she seemed very cool and capable, and a few weeks into the job she's really doing well. But I just found out from a friend that on the résumé she submitted, she lied about having a degree and invented a couple of qualifications. What should I do with this information? Should I even do anything at all?" - Suzanne, Gallery Assistant

Leave your response below!

Dawn February 18, 2019 at 10:39 am

First of all, I wouldn’t know for sure that the information given to me is fact. Without knowing all details, I would not involve myself. I would rely on the job of HR to have done the appropriate screening for the position and let it go.

Stacey February 11, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Don’t say anything. This has nothing to do with you. If she’s a hard working person and is successfully doing her job, then leave it alone.

Madeline Case February 9, 2019 at 10:14 pm

M.Y.O.B. It’s not your problem. Keep out of it. If you do get involved, this person might want to know how did you find out. You won’t know what hit and you will suffer for it in more ways than you could ever imagine. Her manager and Human Resources will eventually find out when they do their due diligence and check out where she was supposed to have gone to school. Again, M.Y.O.B.

Anita Iskenderian February 8, 2019 at 3:40 pm

This is a value and ethics matter. I think it’s best not to say anything unless you’re asked if you knew about her background. It would be smart to then be honest about your knowledge.

Barbara February 7, 2019 at 4:24 pm

I agree with Cheryl and Melissa. It is not you responsibility to do anything with this information. She will succeed or fail on her own merits. You can be a good team player though and help her to succeed. It ultimately is a win-win for you and your company.

Cheryl February 7, 2019 at 4:16 pm

While there’s no denying it feels unfair that someone achieves a position with a resume containing falsified information, the information you received from a third party is heresay. You cannot verify anything on the resume one way or the other. The responsibility falls on the company’s HR department to verify the pertinent achievements on a candidate’s resume as part of a background check, especially if those items are a prerequisite for the job. If they have not done that, shame on them. Regardless, you should not even entertain having a conversation like that with the hiring manager or HR at your organization. It is equivalent to tattling on someone. If, in fact, the employee has falsified any of the pertinent information, it could easily be discovered at any time by the company. The employee has to live with it and wonder whether or not his/her lies will ever be discovered which, at almost anywhere you work, would be grounds for immediate dismissal.

Mary Jane Jones February 7, 2019 at 4:11 pm

You were not told directly by this person about this dishonesty. Even if a friend told you it is still hearsay. If she isn’t capable of doing the job it will come out. If this person told you directly, that would be a different story.

Diana February 7, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I think the operative phrase is “found out from a friend.” Personally I think the best action is to go to the new admin and ask her if what you heard was true. If she denies it, drop it, as you say she is doing a good job. If she admits it, suggest she talk to HR to update her resume.

Melissa February 7, 2019 at 4:08 pm

I would not do a thing. This is something that you don’t want to get involved with. Either she will be successful, in which the lies won’t matter, or she won’t be successful, in which case she will hang herself. HR could have vetted her experience if it was important to the position.