Admin Pro Forum

Can you put a price on workplace gratitude?

Question: "Let's put a hypothetical out there. If you were offered a 25% raise, but only on the condition that you would never again be thanked for any of the little (or big) things you do to help during the workday, would you take it? Why or why not?" - the editors of Administrative Professional Today

Leave your response below!

Cynthia Coleman December 13, 2018 at 4:21 pm

I’d take the 25% in a heartbeat. I hear thank-you’s many times and it’s great, but saying thank you doesn’t replace monetary appreciation especially when the thank you comes across more like “I’m saying thank you, so you’ll do something else for me” or feels disingenuous.

Every Admin December 6, 2018 at 10:23 am

Looking at the majority of responses, it’s pretty clear that the a majority of management don’t know the value of an admin. So perhaps you can offer some training for them to learn how. Whether it’s a word, a perk, or a raise – it’s something that keeps people motivated. In today’s world, kindness and gratitude are a lost art.

Yvonne Miles December 2, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I would take the 25% raise. I don’t always get a thank you but I love my job and enjoy it , no thank you necessary!

Happy EA November 30, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Reading the other comments makes me even more thankful about how lucky I have been in my career. My former executive pretty much thanked me at the end of every day. It was always sincere and sometimes just funny, i.e., “Thanks for coming in today, coming back tomorrow?”. My current executive isn’t quite as demonstrative but definitely shows her appreciation especially when she knows I have gone the extra mile. She has even said she wants to make sure she doesn’t take things for granted.
One note, I also make sure to thank the executives as well.

Kim Fersner November 30, 2018 at 10:20 am

I do not get thanked for the work I do now. Leadership only thanks certain people and always the same people. I have gotten used to not being thanked in the 25 years I have worked as an assistant. But with my previous boss gave me high raises. Most definitively I would take the 25% raise over the thanks…I’ve learned that my value does not decrease based on someone’s inability to see my worth or thank me for a job well done…I thank myself LOL

Karen November 30, 2018 at 8:58 am

You bet I would take that raise! When I do get a ‘thank you’ I don’t even feel they are really sincere. Being thanked is overrated – I would feel more appreciated with the raise rather than a thank you.

Susan November 29, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Absolutely. I rarely get any thank you or appreciation and never hear “good job”. So yes 25% for giving up all praises you can be sure I would be jumping for joy.

Susan November 29, 2018 at 5:14 pm

You bet I want a 25% raise, but I would have to turn it down if it meant doing away with receiving positive feedback on my work. Admin work can be very stressful and often involves last-minute requests, late nights, some serious problem solving and often doing the work of more than one person. I love being an Executive Assistant but would be hard pressed to continue this job if I never heard a thank you or didn’t get appreciation from my colleagues. Administrative work is often taken for granted, and not all supervisors are good at making a point to acknowledge the behind-the-scenes work that admins do. The occasional thank you’s are worth more to me than a bigger paycheck.

Carol November 29, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Absolutely. Saying thank you does not seem to be in part of most peoples vocabulary. I have gotten more thank yous from customers, who are more important to please in our customer-based business. Having received only a couple from my employer only a couple of times, the 25% would be greatly appreciated, which I would tell my employer. My job, however, will continue to be making my employer look good and assist our customers.

Chris Mirabella November 29, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Absolutely! I always go for personal job satisfaction. If my team goes out to a sales call with perfect materials created by me and the team comes back with a win – YAY! That’s all the thanks I need. And my personal life appreciates the 25% raise. Win/Win

Lisa T November 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm

YES, absolutely. The “thank yous are few and far between and I am not sure that my boss (or anyone else) truly appreciates what I do. After all, it is my job. I would be thrilled with a 25% raise. I would say “thank you” to management!

Toni November 29, 2018 at 4:22 pm

You bet your life. I rarely am thanked for all the work I do, even special assignments.

Melba November 29, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I would not take it. I think we all need a pat on the back for motivation and to know that our work is good work! If you never receive a “thank you” now and then or a “good job” how do you know you are doing good work? If you don’t receive feedback, then anyone could be taking credit for your work.