Is there a book that changed your life? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Is there a book that changed your life?

Question: "I know it sounds simplistic, but I'm looking for a book that will help me find my life's purpose. I've been an admin for 12 years and I'm not really sure where to go from here, in my career but also in my life. The Self-Help section of the bookstore is pretty intimidating. I was hoping other admins know of something good!" - Clare, Clinic Intake Specialist

See comments below, and send your own question to editor@adminprotoday.com.

Minnie Lenox November 20, 2017 at 9:56 am

No one book is really going to tell you what you want and need to do. first you must decide for yourself what you have a passion for! What would you do if you didn’t even get paid to do it? Once you answer this question, then follow your heart. Only then will you need a book to keep encouraging you through the lean times.

Cindy Pastrick November 16, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Try Purpose driven life by Rick Warren

Mark November 9, 2017 at 1:58 pm

How to Win Friends and Influence People. Although it is many decades old, the principals apply just as equally today as they did in the past.

ElizabethM November 6, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Start with Why has helped me to understand the path my life has taken and be more intentional going forward.

Jeannie November 6, 2017 at 1:21 pm

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz. It isn’t so much a motivational book but teaches you how it is ok to have your own beliefs and not necessarily beliefs of others. I read it many years ago and now it is so dog eared I think I know it word by word. The basic agreements are to be impeccable with your word, don’t take things personally, don’t make assumptions, and always do your best.

Gary November 6, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I really enjoyed the book, “Reinventing Yourself” by Steve Chandler… great advice for work and life, and written in an easy style that is a joy to read. Review of positive versus negative thinking and how to fix that, player versus victim thinking, and how to be happy. Great book I’m sure you would find helpful.

Jackqueline November 2, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I once read, ‘Between a Rock and a Hard Place’ by Aron Ralston, I must admit it was during a period of my life where things were tough. His story for me wasn’t about cutting his arm off to survive, it was all about the timing in cutting his arm off. The things that happend in the background and then how it all came together to enable him to be rescued and not die. This spoke to me about how I had to do other things to enable me to make changes in my life before I left the position I was in.

Jane White November 2, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Read the scriptures.

Crystal November 2, 2017 at 4:41 pm

“The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho and I also recommend “Women Who Run with the Wolves” by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Melissa Hunter November 2, 2017 at 4:36 pm

A Course in Life by Joan Gatusso, and several books by Sarah Ban Breathnach, help you get balance in your life and maybe find your purpose. The Drifters by James A. Michener for a look at coming of age in the 70’s. At one time, I had a list of 8-10 books that different bosses had recommended, most were fiction, but I have forgotten most of them. Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer was one. I haven’t read any business-oriented books lately, so not many suggestions there.

S Sievers November 2, 2017 at 4:28 pm

The Bible

Cathy November 2, 2017 at 4:23 pm

You can take a lot away from “Women Who Run with the Wolves”…I found some of it’s “lessons” useful in both my personal life & business life. When I was younger, I read “Siddhartha” which I found to be a journey of self-discovery & finding your own way in all aspects of your life. Neither are quick reads but they both made positive impressions on me at two different stages of my life.

Nancy November 2, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want, by Barbara Sher

Linda Swartz November 2, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Purpose Life Driven. It helped me to get my life together mentally, spiritually, and physically (not like exercise per say, but how I should treat my body).

Lynn November 2, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I’m listening to the Dream Manager by ** Kelly. It’s my second time through. It makes you think about things from a different perspective. And “What are your dreams” is a good place to start.
What Color is your Parachute is good if you’re looking to find a new job. Once you’ve already got one, it’s a little late.

Doreen Thompson November 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I really was inspired by “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch. Randy was a bright child, completed school and became an inventor working with Disney Pictures in the Imagineering field. When everything seemed perfect in his life he faced death from cancer in midlife. How he handled it and the legacy he left behind in this book.

Jennifer Lindemann November 2, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I really like the book “What Color is Your Parachute” by **** Bolles. It’s very down to earth and has so many practical concepts. They have updated it over the years as well! Good Luck!!

KLaCole November 2, 2017 at 3:36 pm

The Nike memoir, Shoe Dog, is a great book to find motivation and figure out what your life ultimate purpose is. Highly rated!