• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

That perfect wedding gift: A new Social Security card

Get PDF file

by on
in Office Management,Payroll Management

Love is not all that newlyweds need. If employees who tie the knot change or hyphenate their last names, they may also need new Social Security cards that reflect their married names.

The Social Security Administration’s procedure for getting replacement cards is found at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber. You can also download a copy of Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, from that web page.

Memo to Payroll: Don’t change employees’ names in your payroll records until newlyweds present their new cards.

BE A HERO: Newlyweds have one thing on their minds, and, unfortunately for you, it’s not payroll. Be proactive by creating wedding packages.

What to include: direct deposit forms, W-4s so they can claim married status, forms to update dependent coverage for health care (this may entail updating cafeteria plan information) and forms to name 401(k) beneficiaries. Put a change of address card in there, too, for W-2 purposes. Finally, suggest that newlyweds update their driver’s licenses.

Leave a Comment