How do you track your boss’s phone messages? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

How do you track your boss’s phone messages?

Question: "I’m wondering what admins do to track phone messages for their exec? I've used a phone log right in Microsoft Outlook, but it doesn’t work in Microsoft 2016 so I've just been using an Excel spreadsheet." - Kathy, Admin

See comments below, and send your own question to editor@adminprotoday.com.

Jane April 14, 2017 at 7:07 am

I currently do not track their calls as both of my clients (CIV & MIL) both answer their own phones. But when I was keeping track of them at another job, I used the carbonless message book. It works great and it’s a great way to add new contacts in your Outlook and then you can send your Exec a message via email with the contact information that they can add to their Contacts list.

Eric April 13, 2017 at 9:07 am

Excellent! We all know this but you have put it in a very nice fashion. This will certainly help even an experienced person.

Lori April 11, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I use TM: for telephone message UTM with a flag = Urgent telephone message VTO= Visitor to Office. If something is super urgent I email AND then text to say “Check your email for urgent matter.”

Lori April 11, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I answer two executive’s phones and encourage detailed messages from callers unless the bosses tell me they want the call or I know it is an important client or issue. I use the subject line of the email: TM- Tele Msg. Then the person’s phone number, then their name and if needed, Co. Name. I try to also put three words what call is about…i.e: status of Loan, needs your advice….If there is a detailed message, I type it in the meesage and right after the person’s name in the “Subject” I type “SEE BELOW” so they know to read the message. I find execs are notorious for not reading a full email!

Melita Hobby April 7, 2017 at 9:15 am

My boss is an attorney and prefers a paper trail. I use a 2 part carbonless phone message book and keep the copies on file for 2 years. For the other executives I support in the Company. I use the Special Phone Message application in Lotus Notes and file the e-mail in a folder I’ve created for each individual.

Judith April 6, 2017 at 6:20 pm

If my boss is in the office, I give him an old fashioned bright colored hard copy message that has a cc: for me. Then, as the day progresses, I check to see where he stands with the calls; does he want me to take them; shuffle them off to buffalo (another responsible party)… When he is away and he is the only person that can deal with the situation, I type the messages in a Word document and email them at the end of the day. I always explain that Bishop is out of the office and he may not reply immediately. This works, because both of us have a “hard” copy of the emails with all pertinent information. If he wants me to deal with the call, I can make notes right on the original message and move forward. With my other 2.5 bosses, they just want me to send anything that comes my way directly to their voice-mail / email and they will deal with it. If there is follow up, they email me as to what needs to be done.

Angela Wiesmore April 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I will email him with a call out in my subject line and I cc myself to flag for follow up later.
For example my email subject is set to read “Telephone Message: Mr. John Doe, XYZ Company. CB # 555-222-888”. This helps in two ways, he knows right away the email is related to a telephone message and by putting the phone number in the subject, most smart phones will allow you to push the number and place the call, versus them having to type it in to the dialer.

I cc myself and flag it so that I can follow-up later. My boss likes this method as he and/or I can do a quick search of all telephone messages at anytime if we need to back reference.

Patricia April 6, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I use email as well and always put ‘Telephone message’ or ‘Voicemail message'” as the subject. I like using email so I can track it. My boss likes me to mark any emails I send to him as ‘High importance’ then he doesn’t ignore them. I am not sure why they would need to be entered on an Excel spreadsheet, unless your boss is in sales or something and for some reason needs to keep track of any calls. Do you find you refer back to your list a lot? If not, perhaps it is not needed.

jamie April 6, 2017 at 4:13 pm

If he is not around to take the call, I ALWAYS email it to him so there is record of it. Also, our system’s voice mail comes to my email as well in a little audio file, so I just forward that to him as well.

Sheila April 6, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Texting.

Jeannette April 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I do that same. I usually send him an email. If I know he is around, but not at his desk, I would leave a post-it note on his computer so that he can’t miss it. I like the email. It’s quick, a good reference, and searchable.

Monica April 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I’m curious what tools others use. I typically send my boss an email with “Phone Msg” as the subject.