The first black firefighter in the Irving, Texas Fire Department is suing the department, claiming it promoted a less qualified white applicant to assistant fire chief.
The firefighter, hired in 1979 and currently a captain, has been passed over three times for the job.
Only three of the Irving Fire Department’s 320 firefighters are black. Twelve percent of Irving citizens are black.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Prepare unified defense; ruling may spark more state suits
- During RIF, make sure your rationale makes sense
- When workplace romance goes bad, fall back on sexual harassment policy for discipline
- Whistle-Blowers must first pursue claims administratively