Turn tax tables on support payments — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Turn tax tables on support payments

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Do you provide financial help to an elderly relative like a parent or in-law? Even if you meet the more-than-half-support test for dependency exemption deductions, you probably won’t qualify for an exemption because of the “gross income limit.” But you may be able to do an end-run around the tax rules if the relative watches your young children while you and your spouse work.

Strategy: Turn your support into payments for child care. The amount you pay is the same.

Under the current rules, you may be entitled to a dependent care credit (commonly called the “child care credit”) for payments for watching your kids. Therefore, at least you can salvage some tax benefits from the arrangement. It’s a way of turning a tax lemon into lemonade.

Here’s the whole story: To qualify for a dependency exemption deduction for a relative who is not your child, you have to provide more than half of the relative’s support during the year, and h...(register to read more)

To read the rest of this article you must first register with your email address.

Email Address:

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: