• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

I’m getting married in the morning (tell the SSA, too)

Get PDF file

by on
in Office Management,Payroll Management

June is wedding month, which means name changes for brides who take their husbands’ names and couples who hyphenate their new names. Reminder: Newlyweds must get replacement Social Security cards showing their new names. The Social Security Administration’s procedure for getting replacement cards can be found at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber. You can also download a copy of Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, from this web page. Heads up for Payroll: Don’t change payroll records until newlyweds present their new cards.

AFTER THE I DO’S: Newlyweds probably won’t file new W-4s or alert you to other changes. Be proactive by creating wedding packages. Include: direct deposit forms, W-4s, forms to update dependent coverage for health care (this may entail updating cafeteria plan information) and forms to name 401(k) beneficiaries. Put a change of address card in there, too, for W-2 purposes. Finally, suggest that newlyweds update their driver’s licenses and, if they get health insurance through the individual exchange, to notify it of the change in family status.

Leave a Comment