In 2007, New York lawmakers passed a record number of laws affecting employers, including new laws on independent contractors, inquiries into conviction records, leave for military spouses, leave of absence for blood donations and cancer screenings, and unemployment benefits.
To protect employees from potential exploitation and to collect
Gov. Eliot Spitzer recently signed an executive order establishing the Joint Task Force on Employee Misclassification. The task force will issue a report to the governor each Feb. 1, detailing enforcement efforts to stop employers from misclassifying employees as independent contractors.
The task force includes...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- FMLA 'stress leave': When must you allow it?
- ABA/DOL partnership: 'New sheriff' gets a deputy, which could trigger more FMLA, FLSA lawsuits
- Must we offer benefits to same-sex partners?
- Can we refuse to hire member of National Guard because she lacks weekend scheduling flexibility?