The best-seller Moneyball isn’t really about professional baseball. It’s an allegory for winning by managing data.
As organizations’ tangible assets vaporize into the cloud, it’s a good idea to think about how you manage data. Ask:
- Does your organization create proprietary data?
- Is it stored in a usable digital format or physically locked in a vault?
- Does this data asset grow or diminish with use? With time?
- Do your partners or clients contribute to its growth, or do they subtract value?
- Does your business model depend on the value of the data being drawn down or constantly regenerated?
— Adapted from Vaporized, Robert Tercek, LifeTree Media.