To change behavior—your own and your team’s—start by identifying specific behaviors you want to change. Here are questions to help prepare your team:
- What three to five key behaviors have driven our success?
- What three to five behaviors have my mentors used to drive their success?
- What behaviors have our competitors used?
- What three to five behaviors have held back our team?
- Based on our strengths and opportunities, what’s most likely to work?
- What investments in time, talent and money will we need?
- Will our current culture support these new behaviors?
- Why would people adopt them?
- How do I communicate why our people should adopt them?
- What specific, observable directions will instill these behaviors?
- How will we measure commitment?
- How will we track results?
— Adapted from Elevate, Rich Horwath, Wiley.