A California-based production company, Hartmann Studios, has been slapped with the largest fine ever for Form I-9 paperwork violations. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) hit the company with a $605,250 fine for more than 800 violations of I-9 forms.
The company’s biggest mistake: a repeated failure to sign Section 2 of the form. Employers are required to complete and sign Section 2 (attesting that the employee’s documents have been reviewed) within three business days of a hire.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Applicant Filed for Bankruptcy: Can You Refuse to Hire Him?
- Bill banning credit checks on applicants introduced in Senate
- Employment background screening firms: How to sort the best from the rest
- New law: Employers must review outside investigators' work