Under recently signed legislation, New York City will begin a year-long employment tester program in which paired job applicants with similar experience and qualifications will express interest in the same job. One will belong to a protected class and one will not.
The legislation calls for a minimum of five investigations. Any perceived discrimination will trigger a referral to the city’s Commission on Human Rights.
Testers will not be used as part of existing investigations, but rather will be sent out in search of new discriminatory hiring practices.
Note: Employers should ensure their advertisements do not discourage anyone from applying and train all personnel on neutral application/resume evaluation.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Class-action lawyer to see how it looks from the other side
- Using subjective hiring factors? Make sure you can clearly explain later
- How should we respond when one of our customers acts strangely?
- Using day labor? Keep relationship contractual