Technology can cause us to lose focus, but it can also be the solution to regaining our focus.
A recent study by Cornell University showed that students who used anti-distraction apps spent 24% more time on coursework, submitted 27% more homework and were 40% more likely to finish the online course they were taking.
To help you remove distractions and focus more in the workplace, here are some suggested apps:
1. Anti-Social, Social Control (MAC, Windows): Block any site that wastes your time. You choose the site you want to block and the period of time. Designed for your computer.
2. Stay Focused (Windows): Block the entire Internet for set periods of time with this Chrome app that helps you stay offline to get more done.
3. Focus Lock (Android): Block notifications for a set amount of time followed by an unlock window. Simply start by selecting the apps you want to lock out, and set a timer for when they will unlock. Hit the locks and be distraction-free from all the social networks and apps you select.
4. Break Time (Android): Reminds you at regular intervals to take short and long rest breaks.
5. Concentrate (Windows): Create specialized working activities by customizing a set of actions that your computer performs automatically. When you activate these, it prevents you from accessing other apps unrelated to that activity. So if you create a “writing” activity, it might block a handful of websites, set your iChat status to “away” and simultaneously open up a blank Word document.