One of the most frustrating and time-consuming tasks is tracking the miles you have driven. Some people guess at it; others just give up.
Sadly, unless you diligently track these miles, you could be missing out on valuable tax deductions that you could claim for business, charity or medical trips.
Several mobile apps claim to track miles. Some are very good, and others lack ease of use.
After testing multiple apps for this, we found MileIQ, and it is not only easy, it offers a free trial version.
Here are some of the features of MileIQ:
- Detects your drives and logs them automatically (no interaction of the user required).
- Calculates drive distances and value (even with a map of start and stop points).
- Auto-syncs drive data securely to the cloud.
- Captures drives in miles or kilometers (m or km).
- Stores your complete drive history.
- Sends you regular drive reports.
This powerful app runs in the background, and when you drive, it tracks where you started and where you stopped. Once you are done driving, it prompts you to classify the trip as personal or business. Either classification will allow you to further categorize the expense for more detailed reports.
The free version allows up to 40 drives per month. You can upgrade to unlimited drives for $5.99 per month or $59.99 per year.