Activist Dave Wilson presented petitions containing 19,700 signatures seeking a November referendum demanding repeal of the ordinance.
Apparently, Wilson confused the rules for changing the city charter with those to repeal an ordinance. State law requires 20,000 signatures to place a referendum question on the ballot to repeal an ordinance.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker noted that any such petition must be filed within 30 days of the ordinance’s passage.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Holiday parties: 12 tips for making sure liability doesn't hang over your head
- When employee sues for discrimination, be prepared to show your processes are solid
- Government employers: Section 1983 may mean liability for sexual orientation bias
- Pennsylvania concrete company, union settle disability bias claim