When it comes to upselling, salespeople often don’t make the offer, come across as too pushy or fail to convince the consumer. Upsell effectively like this:
- Present the upsell as an opportunity. Even if you fear a “No,” offer the upsell. Ask permission to tell customers about it if you feel awkward launching right in.
- Explain the benefits. Paint a picture of why the upgrade would make the customer’s experience better.
- Focus on the customer. Make the upsell all about the customers. They don’t care how it affects you; they want to know how it will change their lives.
- Demonstrate. Offer a hands-on experience to show the benefits of the upsell.
- Group more than one. Lay out all upselling options on the table and offer them as a bundle. Highlight how each component will benefit customers in their day-to-day lives.
— Adapted from “30 Seconds to Significant Sales: How to Upsell Without Turning Off Your Customer,” Jeff Mowatt, www.businessknowhow.com.