The Senate voted Sept. 15 to table the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would have promoted pay equity between men and women.
The next day, the Census Bureau announced that the gender wage gap shrank last year—by a penny. Women now earn 78¢ for every dollar men earn.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, “Income and Poverty in the United States: 2013,” Sept. 16, 2014
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Benefits mistake creates unemployment comp eligibility
- Paycheck problems: Know limits on deductions, promptness of pay
- 3 federal tests: Are workers employees or independent contractors?
- Don't expect to get away with paying undocumented workers less than law requires