Few things in life are as frustrating as a slow computer. Small Business Trends Product Editor TJ McCue has some simple steps you can take to speed up your PC and save your sanity.
- Reduce the number of programs that start up automatically. If your computer is sluggish to start, it’s probably starting up too many things all at once. To fix this, “click on the Windows button, click ‘run,’ and then type ‘msconfig’ into the box. Click on the ‘Startup’ tab. Some things you want to leave alone. For example, your antivirus. Others, such as Adobe Acrobat or Google Toolbar Notifier, you don’t need to start up with your computer.”
- Remove programs you don’t use. This can be done from the uninstaller tool in your control panel.
- Switch from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome. Chrome runs faster.
- Routinely scan for problems and remove them. This includes malware, spyware and viruses. You should have an antivirus program and you can get free malware-removal tools from Comodo, Norton and Avast.
- Defrag your hard drive. “You should defragment your drive or schedule it to perform this action automatically. In general, you can do this monthly.”
— Adapted from “12 Tips for Increasing Computer Speed,” TJ McCue, Small Business Trends.