Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee has used all FMLA leave? Assess disability status before terminating
- Mere days of harassment mean lawsuit when 'Constructive discharge' is involved
- Continued employment enough to bind employees to noncompete pact
- How must we accommodate breastfeeding?