The things we do for love: Help newlyweds keep pay in order — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

The things we do for love: Help newlyweds keep pay in order

Get PDF file

by on
in Compensation and Benefits,Human Resources

June brides who take their husbands’ names and newly married couples who hyphenate their names must get new Social Security cards reflecting their new names. Reminder: Don’t change your payroll records until newlyweds show you their new Social Security cards.

The Social Security Administration’s procedure for getting new cards can be found at the SSA's website. You can also download a copy of Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, from this webpage.

PAYROLL PRACTICE TIP: About the only paperwork that concerns newlyweds is unwrapping presents and sending thank-you cards. Alerting Payroll to bank account changes and filing new W-4s are two details too many. Tip: Create wedding packages for newlyweds. Include direct deposit forms; W-4s; forms to update dependent coverage for health care (this may entail updating cafeteria plan information) and forms to name 401(k) beneficiaries. Put a change of address card in there, too, for W-2 purposes. Finally, suggest that newlyweds update their driver’s licenses.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: