Two former top executives have filed suit against Ubiquity Brands, the parent company of Jays Foods, over severance pay and unused vacation time that went unpaid when the company filed for bankruptcy in October. The two claim they lost their positions without cause during a Sept. 7 restructuring.
Former Chief Financial Officer William McManaman and former Chief Information Officer Gary Rietz filed suit in Cook County Circuit Court, alleging breach of contract and violations of the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act. The suit also seeks punitive damages.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- In case of layoffs, must we offer severance and pay out accrued, unused vacation?
- FLSA: Exempt vs. Nonexempt Workers
- Hostile e-mail was grounds for firing, federal court finds
- Can we terminate worker to keep domestic violence from spilling over into our workplace?