You know this list by heart: The interview questions that must never, ever be asked. Others in your company could probably use a reminder.
Make sure everyone involved in the interview process—including employees you bring in to meet the applicant—understands what they can’t ask legally. They must not ask:
- Are you married? Divorced?
- How old are you? (unless it’s a bona fide occupational qualification)
- Do you have or intend to have children?
- What are your day care plans?
- Do you own or rent your home?
- Do you have any debts?
- Are you ill or disabled?
Bottom line: Every question should address: How well could this person perform the job?