Just remember that scientists say it only takes one week to retrain your brain. You’ll get used to it. To help you out, here are a few tips to get you started.
- Keep in mind that during the install your icons will be moved around. “Before doing anything, put everything back the way you had it before the upgrade. This will help you get used to the new design,” suggests Nick Bilton, New York Times “Bits“ blog.
- Pick a dark background image for your home screen to increase the contrast on the phone if you don’t like the lighter screen, says Bilton.
- Practice flicking downward from the middle of the screen. This is your new way to search. Pressing the home button to search is now passé.
- Flick upward to quit any app.
- Forget updating those apps all the time. It’s now automatic. However, automatic updates will drain your battery. If this is a concern, turn off automatic downloads.
- Ever wish you had a level handy? You do now. Buried in the compass icon (page 2) is a level. How often would you need a level? Who knows? But hey, you’ve got a level on your phone!